follow-up (May 20, 2019): Join us on June 4, 2019 for another Rally to support Lady Liberty’s return. See our posting at https://tinyurl.com/Groovin4Liberty .
UPDATE (Sept. 26, 2018): DSIC has cancelled Friday’s “Groovin’@Gateway”, saying that they fear the grounds will be too soggy, even if rain does stop by Thursday or Friday morning. (They have, in fact, taken all mention of it off the DSIC website, not even bothering to show it as cancelled on their Events calendar, and taking down its webpage.) Nonetheless, as I say on my Facebook Page,
Despite the Cancellation of Groovin’@Gateway, let’s have a PHOTO-OP for LADY LIBERTY, at the same time, 6 PM FRIDAY, to highlight our hope that Lady Liberty will soon be brought back to her home in Liberty Park at Gateway Plaza. There will be no worry over getting in the way of the DSIC Event, no stress, just some fun romping around with signs and snapshots with Silhouette Lady Liberty. I suggest:
6 PM Friday, Sept. 28 we hold a Quick Photo-op Rally for LADY LIBERTY’s RETURN.
— at the Central Sculpture area, the Lady’s pre-construction location for 67 years
— a 76” Silhouette of Lady Liberty will be there (photo on right), with foam Liberty crowns
— I’ll bring props and signs (Family-rated)
— and, hand-out souvenir 4×6 photos of Lady Liberty in her Park (see photo below)
— and, my camera and monopod to capture the event
It will be a short session, unless some folks want to schmooze a bit. So, please be there at 6 PM.
Partially cloudy skies should mean great sunset potential. There is no rain forecast for Friday afternoon or evening.
. . for more info see: https://tinyurl.com/TimelessLiberty . .
This Friday, September 28, 2018, Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation and Schenectady County are throwing an event called “Groovin’@Gateway“, so the public can
. . experience Downtown Schenectady’s newest public space, Gateway Plaza. Enjoy live music, food & craft beer vendors, and family art activities in this beautiful new destination at State Street and Washington Avenue at the western gateway to downtown. Free and open to the public.
September 28, 5:30-7:30pm
Gateway Plaza, 12 State Street
- The Rally will take place at 6 PM at the Central Sculpture Area (near Washington Avenue and State Street, across from SCCC), where Lady Liberty stood from 1950 to 2017.
- All are welcome, young, old and in-between. Silhouette Lady will appear and bring some Liberty Crowns for the kids.
- Come join lovers of Lady Liberty and Her Park to ask that the Plan to return Lady Liberty, approved by the public and City Hall in 2012-2013, be implemented: Bring Back the Lady to Best Celebrate the Past, Present & Future of our City and County, and to support preservation and the integrity of our planning process.
- For more information about the very avoidable controversy over where Lady Liberty will be relocated now that reconstruction of her Park and creation of Gateway Plaza are complete, see https://tinyurl.com/TimelessLiberty .
- Click the following link for a collection of Letters to the Editors written in support of bringing Lady Liberty home.
- Leave a message, if you would like to help with the Rally.
- Share this posting with this shorter URL: https://tinyurl.com/Rally4Lady
- See you at Liberty Park at Gateway Plaza!
. . fortunately, I took photos of the Lady in Her Park in September 2016, as soon as I heard she would be removed during the re-construction: