. . for background, see tinyurl.com/TimelessLady
. . It all started in March 2018 . .
Jessie Malecki (Gazette, March 14, 2018):
(March 23, 2018): Click the thumbnail to the left to see a Letter published in the Albany Times Union by David Giacalone (click for online version).
. . Lance R. Jackson (online; Gazette, March 27, 2018). .
. . James A. Wilson (Gazette, April 8, 2018, online)
. . Tom Hodgkins, Sunday Gazette Guest Column (April 28, 2018)
And, James Wilson’s September 10th Letter in the Gazette: “Restore Lady Liberty Statue by October 28“, the anniversary of the dedication of the original Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor,
- The Daily Gazette Editorial Board’s editorial “Don’t Move Lady Liberty“ (April 5, 2018), saying “City officials deciding the fate of the city’s 8-foot-tall replica of the Statue of Liberty should end the tug of war over the statue and return it to where it was always intended to be, in its place of honor at the gateway to the city of Schenectady in Liberty Park.” (Click on thumbnail to the left to see the entire editorial from Friday’s Gazette.)
Who knew we’d still need letters 15 months after the first ones?
. . May 20, 2019: James A. Wilson continued his series of Letters asking for the return of Lady Liberty, including this one, appearing in the Gazette on May 20, 2019. Mr. Wilson expresses “hope”, a virtue that only makes sense to me when dealing with those acting in good faith.
. . above: Gerald Plante’s first LTE about the Lady, May 29, 2019, in the Gazette., and his appearance at a Rally for Lady Liberty’s return in May . .
what can you still do?
Contact the Mayor and City Council directly:
- Mayor Gary McCarthy – firstname.lastname@example.org – who has not offered any justification for changed an important element of a very important and approved Plan.
- Ed Kosiur – email@example.com, City Council President, who signed the Goose Hill Petition to move Lady Liberty to Steinmetz Park
- John Polimeni – firstname.lastname@example.org, who signed the Goose Hill Petition to move Lady Liberty to Steinmetz Park
- Leesa Perazzo – email@example.com, who sponsored the 2013 Resolution adopting the Implementation Plan
- Karen Zalewski-Wildzunas – kZalewskiWildzunas@schenectadyny.gov, who signed the Goose Hill Petition to move Lady Liberty to Steinmetz Park
- John Mootooveren – firstname.lastname@example.org, Chair of the Council’s Health and Recreation Committee
- Marion Porterfield – email@example.com,
- Vincent Riggi – firstname.lastname@example.org, the only Council member to demand implementing the Implementation Plan
And, Mary Moore Wallinger, email@example.com, who changed her mind after designing Gateway Plaza and writing the Implementation Plan and now says Lady Liberty “does not fit in” with Wallinger Plaza’s contemporary theme.